I am a web developer with 20+ years of experience designing and coding standards-based, accessible websites in the education and non-profit fields. I specialize in developing responsive sites using WordPress, hand-coded HTML, and custom PHP and CSS. I also have experience with Flash, Director, and ASP, as well as SEO and accessibility issues.
You can see examples of my recent freelance work on my online portfolio. Prior to my freelance work, I worked most recently as a web developer at Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC), a global nonprofit organization. At EDC, I:
- Created and managed websites, applets, databases, and other technology in the Center for Online Professional Education (COPE).
- Managed the launches of several sites, coding in HTML, CSS, XML, and ASP. In addition, I created and coordinated the graphics, interfaces, and structures of the sites.
- Created approximately 50 Shockwave math and reading applets for clients including PBS Teacherline and the Columbus public schools.
- Redesigned, expanded, and managed Microsoft Access database and associated database-driven website components for the ETLO project to enhance staff productivity and support the project’s business model.
- Coordinated technology planning and technology staffing for COPE and mentored junior staff.
Prior to EDC, I was the webmaster at a startup offering on-demand book printing to educators and I was a Research Associate at TERC, a nonprofit organization focused on improving math and science education.
I hold an Ed.M. in Technology in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a B.A., summa cum laude, in Linguistics from Harvard University.